Prison Grounds Operative
2378/SkyBlue2378 | £Neg SALARY | S.E. London
HMP Belmarsh - S.E. London - SE28 0EB
Our client, Gov Facility Services Ltd are recruiting a Grounds Operative for sickness cover - 3 months
Purpose of the role:
To take full accountability for the day-to-day maintenance of the grounds and amenity areas within the estate. To ensure the site is maintained to the agreed standard with the undertaking of planned maintenance, and new works with adherence to Health and Safety guidelines and security procedures, in order to meet sites short term and long-term goals and objectives.
Duties will include, but not limited to:
- To be accountable for the maintenance of the establishment’s grounds and amenity areas which will include lawns, ponds, water features and external grounds to the establishment including woodland
- To carry out soft landscaping - turf laying and hard landscaping – laying patio stones
- To work inside/outside establishment grounds: cutting, mowing and maintaining areas in accordance with accepted practice
- To undertake small project work as advised/requested: including soft and hard landscape development and erection of horticultural support structures where the GFSL Grounds Maintenance JD page 1 of 3situation warrants
- To maintain correct soil husbandry, ensuring all stages of crop development are followed in accordance with good horticultural practice
- To maintain the growing plant/crop to ensure optimum development and/or cropping, ensuring that the plants needs are fully met
- To provide safe access and exits to the estate including trimming of hedges / plants / gritting in the winter months etc
- To ensure all activities are effectively prioritised in-line with local procedures ensuring workload/regime is delivered escalating issues to the Site Manager/ Supervisor when required
- To undertake quality control over prisoner work as agreed within the Service Delivery Agreement
- To comply with all Health and Safety policies, procedures and legislation to ensure statutory and mandatory compliance
- To drive estates vehicles and operate plant equipment
- To undertake incidental and emergency or urgent tasks and assignments as per Service Delivery Agreement timescales, in a safe manner
- To contribute to the development of local practice, process and initiatives, ensure consistency across the unit in the application of policies and procedures affecting prisoners and staff
- To actively contribute to the effective management of the tool inventory
- To positively contribute to the building and development of a culture of excellent customer service, establishing and maintaining an excellent working relationship with the client
- To take accountability for ensuring compliance with health and safety legislation and company policy including undertaking the role of Fire Warden and/or First Aider as required
- You may be required to perform other Duties and responsibilities as assigned from time to time by the Site Manager Supervisor
Skills and Abilities:
- Must have a National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) Level 3 qualification in horticulture or a recognised horticultural industry equivalent
- Holding of PA2 and PA6 pesticides qualifications would be an advantage
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills / Time management / Ability to prioritise and organise own workload / able to work to deadlines
- Essential Knowledge of relevant health and safety requirements
- Must be conversant with grounds maintenance practices in areas of grass maintenance, turf culture, drainage, soil husbandry, areas of ornamental horticulture including aquatics, bedding, perennial, tree and shrub culture and a working knowledge of different types of habitats and the support each provides for: insects, creatures and animals
All candidates working for our client have been identified as key workers during the Covid-19 pandemic, due to the critical work that they undertake to maintain the prison estate. The stability and security that they can offer is now more relevant than ever.
About Our Client:
Gov Facilities Services Ltd provide Facilities Management Services, such as cleaning, reactive maintenance, landscaping and planned building repair work to 52 Prison Establishments across Greater London, Kent & Sussex, South West and the East of England.
Due to the nature of the environment, you will be asked to complete the standard Security Vetting for the establishments. This will include a police check, along with either Enhanced Level 1, Enhanced Level 2 or Counter Terrorism depending on the appointed establishments.
If you already hold a current EL1 or EL2, previous CTC clearance or have worked in that environment before, we are looking to speak to you!
If you meet the above criteria and want to be considered for this excellent opportunity, please send your CV via the link provided. Shortlisting will commence with immediate effect.
SkyBlue Recruitment is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to ensuring that all hiring decisions are based on competence, performance and business needs. By applying for this role, you are agreeing to our privacy statement which can be found our website