Both temporary and permanent candidates working for our client have been identified as key workers during the Covid-19 pandemic, due to the critical work that they undertake to maintain the prison estate
The stability and security that they can offer is now more relevant than ever.
Duties will include but won’t be limited to:
- Collect, process and dispose of waste materials from all areas of the establishment in the most appropriate and effective way, with regard to legislative compliance and environmental issues.
- Liaise with contractors when ordering services, including skip collection.
- Provide general advice and guidance to staff on how to manage waste more effectively and actively promote recycling within the establishment.
- Carry out insect control measures within work area.
- Actively contribute to recycling / waste efficiency meetings and Sustainable Development Committee Meetings.
- Supervise prisoner parties and undertake quality control over their work.
Undertake other waste tasks including:
- Log materials used and assist with stocktaking of tools, equipment and materials.
- Undertake activities to ensure that waste is reduced and that areas of work are safe, clean and tidy whilst work is in progress.
- Ensure sufficient levels of stock are maintained.
- Ensure allocated Planned Maintenance and small repairs are carried out, undertaking service requests raised via the computer aided facilities management system.
- Escort technical contractors when required, working with and supervising them.
- Maintain regular communications via radio.
- Undertake the role of banksman directing the operation of some plant equipment or machinery.
- Responsible for tools and plant machinery, carrying out checks at regular intervals and completing relevant documentation.
- Comply with Health & Safety policies, procedures and legislation to ensure statutory and mandatory compliance.
- Drive estates vehicles and operate plant equipment.
- Carry out pest control prevention measures across the estate when required.
- Contribute to prisoner reports including parole and sentence planning.
Requirements for the role:
- Experience working in Waste Management within a secure environment, prison, military, government, health or similar sector.
- Supervisory experience is essential.
- Ability to lead a team and communicate clearly and concisely.
- Collaboration and partnering.
Please note that the role will largely involve physical work outdoors.
The role is temporary with the potential to go permanent.
Due to the nature of the environment you will be asked to complete the standard Security Vetting for the establishments. This will include a criminal records check (standard DBS) along with either Enhanced Level 1, Enhanced Level 2 or Counter Terrorism depending on the appointed establishments.